I Corinthians 10:13
We all face temptation, it’s an unavoidable part of life. The question is not, “Will you be tempted?” The question is, “When you’re tempted, will you be ready?”
I really want you to get this: You can beat temptation. Stop saying, ‘Joyce, I just don’t think I can.’ Take ‘I can’t!’ out of your vocabulary.
In your own strength and by your own ability, you’re right. You can’t. But when you put God’s Word in your heart, when you lean on His strength and trust in His promises, there’s no temptation you can’t overcome.
Five Ways to overcome temptation
Over the years, I’ve noticed five things that make all the difference in overcoming temptation.
- You’ve got to be wise. Think about the choices you’re making and the consequences before you make them. Wisdom looks ahead.
2. You have to believe that you can resist temptation. Condemnation, guilt and shame work off of momentum, if you stop them early, they lose their power, but once they get rolling, they’re hard to stop.
3. Think of facing temptation as normal life. If you’re expecting a fight, you’ll always be ready.
4. Avoid areas of weakness. Don’t put yourself in situations where you can easily fall. If you struggle with managing your money, don’t go to the mall when you can’t afford to buy anything!
5. Don’t give yourself too much credit. We don’t graduate from being tempted. It’s so easy to think you’ve matured beyond stumbling. nce that happens, you make yourself an easy target.
God wants you to trust Him to bring victory in every area of your life. By His grace, you can!
God I realize temptation is a part of life. Lord Jesus, help me not to be caught off guard or surprised when temptation comes. Thank You for the wisdom and grace to overcome any and all temptations and to live in Your victory.
You must log in to post a comment.